Sanford Health Media Relations
605-366-2432 / firstname.lastname@example.org
SIOUX FALLS, S.D., April 21, 2021 — Sanford USD Medical Center in Sioux Falls has been named a Comprehensive Stroke Center by The Joint Commission. According to the commission, this program is the most demanding stroke certification and is designed for hospitals that have specific abilities to receive and treat the most complex stroke cases.
“When it comes to treating strokes, every second is critically important,” said Andy Munce, vice president of operations. “This recognition underscores our commitment to our patients by investing in the talents of our experts paired with the latest in technologies to produce the best health outcomes for our patients.”
Sanford USD Medical Center is the only Comprehensive Stroke Center in South Dakota. The Joint Commission is an independent, not-for-profit organization that accredits and certifies health care organizations and programs in the United States. It is recognized nationwide as a symbol of quality that reflects an organization’s commitment to meeting certain performance standards. The recognition is also done in collaboration with the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association.
The Joint Commission surveyed Sanford USD Medical Center in February. The following is some of the criteria to be considered as a Comprehensive Stroke Center:
- Dedicated neuro-intensive care unit and neuro-critical care providers provide neuro-critical care 24/7.
- Cerebrovascular neurosurgery team capable of managing brain vessel pathology of any complexity with microsurgical and endovascular approaches.
- Commitment to continual performance improvement to meet stringent outcome criteria.
- Meet or exceed minimum number of patients served with various stroke treatments including surgical and pharmaceutical interventions.
- Outstanding stroke research and education programs.
It is important for everyone to remember the signs and symptoms of a stroke. The acronym of BE FAST can be life saving.
- Sudden loss of Balance
- Lost vision in one or both Eyes
- Check for Facial drooping
- Arm weakness
- Speech difficulty
- If those signs are present, then it’s Time to call 911.
About Sanford Health
Sanford Health, one of the largest health systems in the United States, is dedicated to the integrated delivery of health care, genomic medicine, senior care and services, global clinics, research and affordable insurance. Headquartered in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, the organization includes 46 hospitals, 1,500 physicians and more than 200 Good Samaritan Society senior care locations in 26 states and nine countries. Learn more about Sanford Health’s transformative work to improve the human condition at sanfordhealth.org or Sanford Health News.