It’s no secret that proficiency in Gantt chart tools is a prerequisite for project managers today.
To succeed as a project manager, you must be at your best every day, from planning resources to motivating your team and guaranteeing customer satisfaction.
However, you should know that the ability to use the right tools for project management is what differentiates a successful and an average project manager.
You might consider Gantt chart alternatives, but it’s far more likely that you’ll be able to make your project management efforts considerably more effective if you use Gantt chart software.
So, let us go over all you need to know about the best tools for the Gantt chart without further ado.
What is a Gantt Chart?
A Gantt chart is a graphical representation of a project schedule that displays a sequence of tasks or activities against their set timelines. The left of the chart displays a list of activities while the horizontal bars represent the progress of tasks, time estimates, dependencies, scheduling, and the task owner(s).
To summarize, Gantt chart project management tools illustrate the amount of work completed in relation to the time allocated for a particular work.
ProofHub can help you plan and schedule your project tasks using Gantt charts. Start your free trial today!
When building and managing complex projects with multiple contributors and dependencies, PERT charts (which break down tasks into milestones) and Gantt charts (which show how long each task should take) are crucial project management views that map, organize, and carry out the work across your team.
Read more: PERT Chart V/s Gantt Chart: A First Glance Comparison
What project teams can accomplish with online Gantt chart tools?
Best tools to create a Gantt chart allow project teams to:
- Understand start and end dates for different activities
- Plan and schedule the order in which tasks are to be completed
- Stay on the same page with clients and other stakeholders through an easily accessible visual framework
- Set dependencies between tasks to assure optimum workflow
- Ensure a clear distribution of job responsibilities in one place
- Adjust schedules due to changes in planning and deadlines
- Track the progress of tasks to check how much work has been done and how much is completed
- Limit visibility of task lists only to the assigned people with private tasks lists
- Drag and drop tasks right in the chart to quickly change their start or due dates or even duration
16 Best Gantt chart tools for Project Management
Now you might have built a decent amount of understanding of how Gantt charts can be brilliant additions to the tools that you are using to manage your projects.
It is time we dig deeper and explore the leading Gantt chart tool that can help you and your company stay on top of their game and beat your competition when it comes to project management.
Following are the top 16 best Gantt chart tools that you can use to level up your project management and become a star performer:
Over the years, ProofHub has gained worldwide popularity as one of the most reliable Gantt chart apps. Being a full-fledged project management software, the Gantt chart maker tool available in ProofHub has everything that a project manager should look for. You can completely rely on it to supervise all your project tasks and keep an eye on multiple project timelines from a central place.
The thing that makes ProofHub a go-to Gantt chart tool for project managers in any type of business is its simple and easy-to-understand user interface. In other words, you can start exploring all the features of ProofHub without the need for any special knowledge because the software has little to no learning curve. With ProofHub’s Gantt chart tool, you can understand the workflow of a project, know the responsibility of each team member, and identify any overlap between tasks in a timeline view.
With a bird’s-eye view of all the Gantt data you can precisely track the development of your project. Join ProofHub today!
- Create tasks and select assignees
ProofHub allows you to create a project roadmap that is a high-level overview of the project’s goals and deliverables graphically presented on a timeline. ProofHub allows you to create tasks within a project and you can even break an individual task into easily manageable subtasks. Moreover, you can assign a single task to multiple assignees or assign multiple tasks to a single assignee. You can even drag and drop tasks on the Gantt chart as the work changes.
- Associate milestones and track progress
Another amazing thing that you can do with ProofHub’s Gantt charts is to associate milestones with tasks, which will make it easier for you to monitor the progress of the project. Also, milestones will help you and your team to have a sense of accomplishment and acknowledge the progress of the project. Besides, you can also track progress in percentage to know precisely the work that has been completed and the work that is remaining.
- Highlight critical chains
Once you have set all the details of the tasks and their dependencies on the Gantt Chart, you can highlight the critical path with a single click. The critical path will let you easily recognize the status of the tasks that affect the completion of the project.
You may need the Gantt charts of your projects in the form of documents for different purposes like resource management and planning, etc. ProofHub gives you the option to export your Gantt charts and even print them so that you can use them in meetings without the need to log in to the project management software.
- Communication over chats, discussions, and comments
Often you and your team members want to have some sort of conversation regarding a task. ProofHub not only allows you and people on your team to communicate directly with one another using the built-in chat interface but also through discussion topics and comments.
You or any of your team members can leave a comment on a task and even tag someone in the comment using @. So, you never have to worry about leaving behind communication even when managing your tasks in the Gantt chart view.
While using a Gantt chart, you can view a specific task to attach a file to it. You can either upload a file from your system’s local storage, ProofHub’s cloud storage, or from a third-party storage service like Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. This will make it easier for all the concerned people of a task to access the file that contains all the work.
- Custom project and resource reports
ProofHub gives you the power to manage your tasks single-handedly using the Gantt chart tool. But what if you want to share the progress of your project with the clients or stakeholders over a meeting?
Well, the project management software has a solution to this as well. By using the reporting feature, you can generate detailed project and resource reports with a single click. As a project manager, you always stand in a secure position whether you want to manage your project or want to share the progress of your projects with others.
ProofHub Pros & Cons
- Stellar customer support provided by ProofHub makes it one of the best Gantt Charts tools.
- Adding custom roles within the platform enables organizations to maintain privacy.
- Top-notch time tracking and online proofing features make ProofHub a highly functional software to ease work management and increase productivity!
- Integrated Kanban boards and communication tools make project collaboration a breeze.
- Notification management can be better.
- G2: 4.5/5
- Capterra: 4.5/5
ProofHub offers a free trial for its new users; the platform has two pricing plans, Essential & Ultimate Control with flat pricing that cost $45 and $89 every month that is billed yearly.
Still skeptical of ProofHub’s abilities? Take a look at all these additional features that ProofHub can offer you!
GanttPRO is one of the Gantt chart tools that offers online project management solutions based on Gantt charts. You can use this tool to get better results when you are managing projects. Its user interface is interactive and you can plan and control multiple projects at once using this Gantt chart tool. GanttPRO also allows cascade sorting for easier following and understanding of the project planning process.
As you might expect, you can use GanttPRO to prioritize tasks, set task dependencies, and track the progress of tasks. Additionally, the tool can assist you with resource planning and resource management while making sure that you use all the resources wisely.
- Comment on tasks and attach files
- Shows the shortest way to complete a project (critical path)
- Real-time notifications for task-related activities
- Share Gantt charts with others using secret public URLs
GanttPRO Pros & Cons
- Simple, convenient, and intuitive user interface.
- Little to no learning curve for people already familiar with the Gantt chart tool.
- Workload management for individual team members is a breeze and tracks their progress.
- You can share and export relevant data, which is very useful.
- The complicated tutorial section makes for a cumbersome learning process for new users.
- You cannot add or customize your Kanban view, thus limiting its column options.
Team (For 5+ users) – Available for $8.90 per user per month
nTask is a robust project management tool that helps you manage your timeline with the help of Gantt charts. It gives interactive Gantt charts with drag and drop functionality, and the ability to create task dependencies and sub-tasks. This software allows you to ideate, plan, execute and monitor your projects within just one platform.
nTask comes with several other features to make your project successful, such as; task management, time tracking, meetings management, team collaboration, and budget tracking. It can be integrated with your favorite applications in just a few clicks.
- Planned and actual dues dates
- Create task dependencies and milestones
- Critical path method
- Financial summary and project budgeting
- Set unlimited sub-tasks
- Update tasks details from the Gantt view
- Time tracking
nTask Pros & Cons
- It facilitates the planning and management of projects.
- With chat tools, it promotes team communication and collaboration.
- Effective task management
- Gantt charts include a lot of detail
- Concentrate on meeting project goals while maximizing productivity.
- It takes longer to attach huge files.
- The platform is not recommended for a group of more than 50 people.
- The platform lacks advanced reporting capabilities.
- Customer support team takes longer than expected to respond to support requests.
Premium – $2.99/user per month.
Celoxis is a project management system that will make it easier for you to manage your projects with its Gantt charts. The software allows you to build dynamic project plans that automatically adjust to the changing conditions on which the project’s completion depends.
Celoxis also comes with resource management features that make it easy to allocate resources to each task based on certain parameters like availability, skills, etc. The Gantt charts offered by the software are fast and support thousands of tasks at a single time.
- Assign multiple resources to each task
- Allows users to set inter-project dependencies
- Supports critical path analysis
- Drill-down charts make it easy to request an update on tasks
Celoxis Pros & Cons
- From demo to deployment, the team behind the product is fantastic!
- The platform has excellent online help resources.
- Amazing navigation features along with team task management & tracking tools.
- Integrated customer support chat is a stellar addition to the platform.
- The user interface can be a little heavy for smaller teams.
- Difficult customization procedures.
- No mobile application for iOS and Android is available.
Cloud (min. 5 users) – $25 per user per month
Bringing together multiple tasks, timelines, and teams is what Gantter excels at. The tools offer Gantt charts that are really easy to use and you can start managing your projects with them any day.
Gantter is one of the Gantt chart tools that allows you to link tasks hierarchically and you can track tasks, costs, resources, and baselines for your projects. Also, it has 600+ community-contributed templates that you can use to organize and manage your projects.
- Built-in tableau analytics for superior data views
- Real-time information can be shared with clients and vendors
- Seamless integration with Google Drive, Calendar, and Hangouts
Gantter Pros & Cons
- Cost effective when compared to other platforms.
- Feature rich for a tool at its price point.
- Customization available on the Gantt chart view.
- Third-party platform/software integrations
- Robust Multi-user functionality.
- The platform can be buggy at times.
- Delay in grievance redressal via customer support.
- Compatibility issues with certain operating systems.
- G2: 4.5/53
- Capterra: 4.2/5
Standard – Available for $5 per user per month
6. Rational Plan
Rational Plan is yet another powerful project management software that works fine as a Gantt chart tool. You can use its Gantt charts to finish your projects on time and within the predetermined budget.
By making the use of Gantt charts in Rational Plan, you can visually represent the schedule of your project as a timeline chart. The Gantt chart will display all the important information about the tasks of a project such as estimated duration, task sequence, etc.
- Establish dependencies and assign resources
- Add comments to tasks
- Critical path detection
- Email notifications for staying up-to-date about project activities
Rational Plan Pros & Cons
- Constantly updated platform.
- Highly value for money.
- Stellar customer support team.
- Simple and easy to learn and use.
- The user interface is a little buggy at times.
- More powerful tools available at the same price point.
Cloud – Production Plan (min. 5 users) – Available for $19 per user per month
Instagantt is among the popular online Gantt chart tool that comes with many powerful scheduling features like milestones, task dependencies, and start & due dates for tasks. The tool also supports the division of tasks into subtasks to make task management easy for you.
You can also track the progress of tasks in percentage and even prioritize tasks and estimate the associated risks. With Instagantt, it is easy to get accurate details of the workload on each member of the team and manage your resources efficiently.
- Multiple projects and workspaces
- Evaluate project delays by analyzing critical paths
- Export Gantt charts in PDF and image formats
Instagantt Pros & Cons
- Combine multiple projects into one and multiple sharing options.
- Intuitive and super easy to learn and use.
- Robust project management and task tracking features.
- Notably great integration with Asana.
- Stellar Gantt chart view.
- The overall UI can be developed a little more.
- Buggy Task management and team collaboration features.
- Not the best PDF export feature resulting in bad quality PDFs.
- G2: 4.6/5
- Capterra: 4.3/5
Standalone version for multiple users – Available for $5 per user per month
OpenProject is a software that managers trust to simplify the overall process of project management. The Gantt charts are really useful to create a project timeline and visualize project plans.
You can schedule the tasks of your project and see the steps required to finish the project successfully. The tool also allows you to select the zoom level of the Gantt chart to see daily to yearly project progress.
- Create tasks, phases, and milestones
- Draw phase duration to set the start and due dates
- Share saved timeline view with others
OpenProject Pros & Cons
- While advanced features are only available to paid users, the core product is free.
- The user interface is simple to understand and easy to use.
- Highly customizable task management features.
- Scheduling and resource allocation & management are not the best.
- The platform is underpowered compared to other options available at the price point.
- The overall system is a little buggy at times and needs more refinement.
Enterprise (min. 5 users) – Available for €5.95 ~ $6.40 per user per month
An interactive user interface, practical Gantt charts, and smooth operation are what define ClickUp. The project management software features Gantt Charts that you can use to streamline your project tasks.
You can rely on ClickUp’s Gantt charts to assign and organize all the tasks of a project. The software allows you to assign start and end times for tasks, and track the progress of a task.
- Create multiple milestones for a project
- Set and view task dependencies
- Calculation of critical path
ClickUp Pros & Cons
- Great technical customer support.
- Robust and well-developed features.
- The lightweight and agile design allow for a fantastic user experience.
- Too complicated for an individual user’s requirements.
- The Android mobile application is not very well developed and has significant performance issues.
- Cumbersome inter-navigation due to complicated hierarchies makes it challenging to use.
Unlimited – Available for $9 per user per month
Smartsheet is a collaboration and work management app with integrated Gantt charts that helps you to move faster and achieve more. The app allows you to quickly create Gantt charts having a spreadsheet-like interface for all of your projects and work management needs.
With this Gantt chart tool, you can easily handle complex projects by breaking down their timelines into tasks. Moreover, you can set time constraints for each task and assign dependencies to ensure the timely completion of tasks.
- Highlight the critical path on the Gantt chart
- Assign tasks to team members and track milestones
- Alerts & reminders for upcoming due dates
Smartsheet Pros & Cons
- Having so many templates to choose from and tweak has been fantastic. Incredibly, it can be integrated with Microsoft Teams.
- I like how simple it is to customize your sheet for whatever you need and how you want it to look. I also like how quickly I can move between columns and sort rows.
- Because the project is web-based, making it easier for team members to communicate information. The option to export to various formats and receive team updates is a great plus.
- Limited features in the lower-tier plans of the platform.
- Due to the extensive size of the platform, it can get laggy from time to time.
Standard – Business – Available for $25 per user per month
Workzone is a robust project management tool that has been around for the last two decades. It has a built-in Gantt Chart tool to help project managers see project tasks and projects over time. You can build and edit projects directly from our interactive Gantt Chart – allowing you to visualize changes immediately to a project schedule.
Using Workzone’s intuitive Gantt charts, you can have a Birds-eye-view of any project, quickly assess a timeline of tasks, adjust the task dependencies, and make changes as per changing work schedule. You can match resources with the upcoming workload by checking the graphical depiction provided by Gantt charts.
- Graphical representation of tasks
- Timeline view for managers
- Horizontal bars extend over time
- Shows tasks with start and end dates
Workzone Pros & Cons
- All of the fantastic features of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Project have been effectively combined into a clean, straightforward UI. Allows team members to share documents and messages, which is beneficial to teamwork.
- It’s easy to use and has a lot of tools that help me stay on top of things while being efficient.
- The software is not particularly user-friendly. Because of that, our company’s users felt discouraged and abandoned the CRM for traditional project management methods.
- You cannot open tasks in new tabs of the platform on your browser.
- G2: 4.3/5
- Capterra: 4.7/5
The Professional plan is priced at $34 per user/month.
12. Project Insight
Project Insight is an enterprise-level web-based project management software to help teams of any size work better. Project Insight has Gantt charts and a comprehensive set of features, which you can use to delegate tasks, monitor productivity, and collaborate effectively and easily with your team members, clients, and stakeholders.
Using Project Insight’s Intelligent Scheduling, which includes the Gantt chart feature, you can easily schedule and adjust project timelines. You can also shift groups of tasks automatically with predecessor/successor links, drag and drop tasks to easily and quickly update your projects, and import and export projects from Microsoft Project and Microsoft Excel with just a few clicks.
- Auto re-schedule of tasks
- Lead and lag time
- Task dependencies
- Drag and drop tasks
Project Insight Pros & Cons
- Gantt charts are able to include a lot of project details.
- Tools specially designed to aid you to concentrate on meeting project goals while maximizing productivity.
- The management of bigger file sizes is cumbersome and difficult.
Free basic plan is available. Growing teams can add more features and functionality to the basic plan by paying $3 per user/month.
13. Easy Projects
Easy Projects is built for project management and professional service teams to help them efficiently and quickly plan projects and deliver their best work. Easy Project has easy-to-build interactive Gantt charts to bring visual planning to the forefront. The Gantt Chart tool allows you to drag and drop items onto the timeline.
It also enables you to see if more work can be assigned to some employees, and which employees have already got their plates full of tasks. Interactive Gantt charts in Project Insights give you an accurate sense of the timeline to be expected and highlight dependencies that will prove to be critical throughout your project.
- Drag and Drop scheduling
- Import MS Project and Excel Files
- Critical Path
- Project Milestones
Easy Projects Pros & Cons
- The report customization is fantastic; it ensures that you have the information you require when you require it. If you like how simple it is to keep track of project hours.
- The numerous views for the projects (i.e. kanban/Gantt), reporting features for our managers, and time allocation are significant User Interface elements.
- It might be challenging to navigate, and items can get misplaced, especially when multiple tiers are within a task.
- Because we have so many users on the service, sorting through projects can be more challenging.
- The most aggravating aspect of the software is finding projects.
The Team plan starts at $24 per user/month.
14. Microsoft Project
Microsoft Project is a reliable and one of the most preferred project management software for project managers managing any type of project. With integrated planning tools including intuitive Gantt charts, Microsoft Project enables you to easily plan your projects with the power of dynamic scheduling based on effort needed, project duration, and allotted team members.
MS Project is now available as a simple cloud-based Office-365 subscription that enables users to access the software via mobile apps or desktops and collaborate with team members in real-time. This is an easy-to-start and simple-to-use software that enables all team members to update tasks simultaneously so you can collaborate on projects even when your team members are working from different locations.
- Visual, Interactive Roadmap
- Microsoft Power BI
- Built-in Templates
Microsoft Project Pros & Cons
- Robust team tracking and management features.
- Efficient and effective project tracking and scheduling tools at your disposal.
- Chart and data visualization creation is relatively straightforward, and the software’s capabilities can be expanded.
- The software is desktop-only and needs to be manually installed to operate.
- It can also be challenging to allocate resources while working with several teams and multiple employees per team.
Project Plan 1 is priced at $9.01 per user/month
SmartDraw is a Gantt Chart tool that allows you to effortlessly switch between two different views of your project—a Gantt chart and a mind map. Powerful and easy to use, SmartDraw makes it easy to brainstorm projects, run meetings, manage deadlines, and create reports. Simply input your information and SmartDraw’s built-in automation does the rest.
SmartDraw focuses on charts, not project management. This software solution is ideal for teams that produce a lot of flowcharts, floor plans, organizational charts, and diagrams. SmartDraw also has the capability to be integrated with other tools like Excel, MS Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Intelligent Formatting
- Different Views of the Same Data
- Intuitive Controls
- Smarter Organization
- Powerful Customization
SmartDraw Pros & Cons
- A low-cost but excellent program for network diagrams and other corporate and personal requirements.
- There are many templates to choose from, making this software more accessible, to begin with. I enjoy how it integrates with well-known programs like Trello and Jira.
- Your projects are also kept online, and you may use any computer with an internet connection to access your programs and files.
- Lack of an intuitive user interface really hinders the user experience.
- The overall system architecture of the software is buggy and sometimes crashes all at once.
- The collaboration features offered do not justify the price you pay for the software.
- G2: 4.5/5
- Capterra: 4.1/5
For single users, the pricing starts from $9.95 per month, billed annually. For 5 plus users, the pricing starts from $5.95 per month, billed annually.
Another online Gantt chart tool that has made it to this list is TeamGantt. It not only helps you plan and manage your projects but also makes project scheduling an effortless activity. Also, you can invite your team members and co-workers to view and edit a Gantt chart.
It is easy to create tasks for your project and add them to a Gantt chart. You also have the flexibility to manage workloads for each individual on your team and make sure no one gets stressed out.
- You can view all your projects in a single Gantt chart to rule out conflicts
- View and compare the planned project timeline with the actual project timeline
- Track project progress in real-time
- Print a project’s timeline in PDF format
TeamGantt Pros & Cons
- Simple & Intuitive to learn and use.
- Great UI enables a very good UX.
- You can map task dependencies.
- Robust task management and delegation features.
- Improves internal team communication.
- Integrated document management; sharing and storage.
- The project budget is not represented in TeamGantt. Projects have a budget, and this part can assist the project manager in viewing the task’s budget projections.
- The platform is pricey, especially if you wish to use it with a large group. As the number of users grows, so does the expense.
- G2: 4.8/5
- Capterra: 4.6/5
Advanced Team (Up to 8 people) – Available for $134.60 per month
What are the Advantages of a Gantt Chart?
Gantt charts are revolutionary in the sense that they make it possible for you to get vital data about your projects at a single place.
Additionally, it is easier to analyze and understand project data available in the visual form that Gantt charts provide.
Now, you still may be wondering how Gantt Charts can be a real help for you as a project manager. Well, below are some of the key benefits of Gantt charts that will bring some more clarity to you:
1. Visual representation of tasks
Gantt charts allow you to have a clear overview of tasks along with additional details such as task assignees, start and due dates, etc.
You can also track the progress of tasks in real-time and even modify schedules according to the changes in deadlines.
Managing tasks is much more effective when you can visualize them in a timeline view.
2. Better resource management
When you have accurate information on how your resources are occupied in different project tasks, you can allocate your resources more efficiently.
Also, you will have a clear knowledge of who’s working on what. This will help you to make sure that you do not overwork any of your team members.
By examining the Gantt chart of a project, you can easily estimate when your resources will become available and plan resource allocation in advance.
Want to manage your project resources efficiently using a Gantt chart? Switch to ProofHub!
3. Identify and understand task dependencies
Have you ever missed a deadline because you weren’t able to identify and set dependencies between certain tasks?
Well, this is where Gantt Charts come in extremely handy. As you know, many tasks of a project depend on one another and thus, it becomes imperative to make such dependencies visible to avoid delays.
For instance, there may be a task in a project that cannot be started until some other task is completed.
With a Gantt chart, it is possible to set dependencies among tasks and visualize those dependencies to ensure that tasks don’t get delayed due to negligence.
4. Effective team collaboration
For projects with limited tasks and limited assignees, it’s easier for you and the people on your team to coordinate with one another. However, team collaboration becomes a challenge when you are dealing with complex projects that have a ton of tasks to manage.
A Gantt chart will come to your rescue in this situation too by providing you clear information on who’s working on what. It is also possible for your team to access Gantt Charts to know what tasks they’ve been assigned to and the deadline for each task.
When each member of your team knows their assigned tasks and the people with whom they need to coordinate, the overall team collaboration becomes better.
ProofHub’s Gantt Charts help you to manage your projects, tasks, and team from a single unified common interface. Sign-up for your FREE trial today!
Gantt charts are among the most useful tools that you need to utilize as a project manager. A Gantt chart app provides you the vantage point from which you can see each and everything about your project, and even visualize how your project is moving towards its successful completion.
While you certainly want to try all the best project management tips and tools, it’s the Gantt chart tool that you just can’t afford to miss if you want to make your project management efforts more fruitful.
What is Gantt chart software?
Gantt chart software is a software used to display a timeline of events. The timeline is divided into bars, representing the duration of the task and its start date.
What is the Gantt chart used for?
Gantt charts allow you to manage time and resources in a project. They enable you to track progress and understand when the project will be completed within a given timeframe.
What is the best tool to create a Gantt chart?
You can create Gantt charts with ProofHub, which provides Gantt chart templates that can be customized by adding more tasks or milestones.
What are some things to look for in Gantt chart software?
Things to look out for in online Gantt chart tools are: 1. Multiple assignees
4. Vertical line marker
5. Task dependencies
Do I need a Gantt chart?
You need a web based Gantt chart tool for planning & scheduling projects to map out how long a project should take, figure out required resources, and plan task dependencies.
Are Gantt charts better than PERT charts?
Gantt charts are less complex than PERT charts, easier to read, and project managers can adjust tasks, set dependencies as the project progresses.
Subscribe to ProofHub
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox.